To sum it all up in a paragraph, this book is this lady named Jeanette's memoir, recapping her entire life. The whole twist to the book is that it revolves around her parents, not her. And when I say her parents, I mean her dad Rex. Her entire life revolves around him. He is a complete genius, in every way, except for the fact that he's a lying, cheating, tax evading, alcoholic. He makes promises he cant keep, and when bills pile up, he has his family do the "skiddadle," meaning they run away from the tax collector.
The difference between Jeanette's parents, and most people parents, is that they don't play by the book. They have a complete opposite view of the world, and impose this on their child.
When thinking about this, the first thing that came to my mind was Cuba. I know it sounds like something random to think about when reading a book by an american, non political author, but it makes a lot of sense. Fidel Castro calls Cuba a communist society. The thing with communism is that with the right leaders, it would work out just fine. Cuba is supposed to be a government of the people. The only problem is, Fidel Castro is a dictator, and he rules Cuba like he's a king.
Jeanette and her siblings are Cuba, and her parents, especially her father, are Fidel Castro. He thinks his kids should be wild and free, but at the same time keeps a chain on them. On one hand I feel bad for Jeanette, but on the other I feel bad for Rex. He can't help his addictions, and he can't control his anger.
This is why I think people should stay by the book, because it benefits the whole.
I don't get really angry! Make sure you are using accurate adjectives! I just tell you that it is important to be able to figure out how to find books that you'd be interested in reading on your own...because what will you do when you aren't in the lovely room 116 every day next year?
ReplyDelete