Wednesday, January 5, 2011

It's pretty hard writing about Holden Caulfield when I haven't finished the book *SPOILER ALERT*

Holden Caulfield (from "Catcher in the Rye") is a sophisticated character. I've only known him for about 70 pages, but it's almost been a lifetime to me.There are two things I know about Holden that I would really like to get out.

I think Holden is egotistical, if that's the right word. For example, his hunting hat. He uses his hunting hat to display his feelings, and to be cool. He puts it on forwards and backwards, expressing different security levels. I think this shows Holden likes to make it obvious that he's afraid, but I think he likes to show that he's never afraid, because he mainly keeps it in front, showing security of some sort.
The next thing about Holden, is that he thinks he's above it all, even though he flunks out of everything. What is wrong with him? If you want to be the man, you have to act like the man! He thinks he's above all this education nonsense, so we can cut to the chase. Hate to rain on your parade Senor Caulfield, but everyone else went to school, so so must you!

My conclusion is that I hate Holden Caulfield. I wish I could run away to New York and live in a hotel and be carefree. Oh, wait, I already live in New York, and theres bed bugs in hotels. So honestly, I conclude that Mr. Caulfield is a self absorbed, snobby, moron. (But it's a good book)

No comments:

Post a Comment